The London Principles
These Principles provide a touchstone for policymakers at every step in their efforts to bolster impact investing. They are ultimately intended to build global momentum for policy innovation in impact investing.
Impact investing is a growing field, and public officials are increasingly looking at policy tools to bring private capital to support the achievement of social objectives.
In response to this trend, the Impact Investing Policy Collaborative has worked with policymakers, researchers and other stakeholders to develop The London Principles, a set of guidelines intended to assist governments considering impact investing as a tool to address social objectives. They do not dictate what a government should do, but rather offer guideposts that ideally point to better strategy and policy development.
The London Principles are drawn from a multitude of political, economic, and cultural contexts, and have been developed to address different places across varying stages of impact investing ecosystem development.
The London Principles are designed to support a reflective approach to policy that drives learning and innovation over time to achieve important social objectives.
The Five London Principles
- Clarity of Purpose
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Market Stewardship
- Institutional Capacity
- Universal Transparency
Clarity Of Purpose
Clarity of purpose, on the part of government, reinforces strategy and policies that are integrated into existing policy and market structures, that target specific social objectives, and that clearly define the role for impact investing in achieving those objectives. Clarity of purpose allows governments to avoid inefficient use or misallocation of resources, insufficient policy support that impedes achievement of outcomes, and disjointed policy regimes.
- Clearly identify the social objective(s) that the impact investing strategy or policy is meant to target.
- Clearly identify why the impact investing strategy or policy might be an appropriate tool to meet those objectives, and how impact investing complements broader policy systems.
- Define realistic expectations for the results the impact investing strategy or policy might achieve and the time it might take to achieve them.
Stakeholder engagement brings discipline and legitimacy to policy design. By institutionalizing dialogue and feedback, with relevant stakeholders, governments can bring important additional resources to support impact investing strategies and policies. Effective stakeholder engagement ensures that all actors are included, manages expectations, and avoids the development of policies that are unfit for purpose.
- Identify, engage, and collaborate with key stakeholders, from concept to implementation to revision of strategies and policies.
- Support shared ownership of policy and a dynamic process of policy development and review.
- Guard against misaligned incentives or unequal power structures that work against effect impact investing strategy and policies.
Market stewardship ensures a holistic vision for impact investing strategies and policies. It focuses on a balanced development of investor interest, investment opportunities, and mechanisms to deliver intended social outcomes. Effective market stewardship sets appropriate levels of regulation and mitigates unnecessary management of market activity.
- Identify the appropriate use of market interventions, including at which point they should be made, for how long, and by which agencies and institutions.
- Develop markets holistically, balancing capital supply, investment readiness, and support for enabling intermediary infrastructure.
- Support reliable and responsive policy, mindful of stakeholder priorities, incentives and limitations.
Institutional capacity allows for the effective use of resources, adds value to existing policies, and creates the potential for developing innovative strategies and tools that address key social problems. Institutional capacity establishes reliable and resilient markets, and avoids sending mixed signals to investors and civil society on the potential for intended policies to deliver on their promises.
- Determine cross-sector resources within government currently available, or necessary to be developed, for successful strategy development and policy implementation.
- Develop public sector leadership to implement policies where needed and provide stability over time.
- Measure and evaluate the impact of policies against stated objectives, and act efficiently to refine or scale accordingly.
Universal transparency mandates that stated objectives are clear, and progress toward their achievement is openly measured and reported to relevant stakeholders and the public at large. Effective universal transparency enables leadership in public innovation, protects against the risk of real or perceived bias, realistically manages expectations, and empowers citizen participation.
- Report rigorously on performance and develop a culture of transparency that includes all impact investing actors.
- Commit to a continuous process of shared learning, including through an open dialogue on successes and failures.
- Foster engagement and fidelity to stated social objectives.
Join The Conversation
- Open in Twitter GLE/IIPC @ImpInvPolicy RT @cathyhc: Our #OnImpact #impinv weekly! Stories via @difincubator @ImpInvPolicy @Binayak_Acharya http://t.co/GQyFiRgdzX... http://t.co/R… 4 days ago
- Open in Twitter GLE/IIPC @ImpInvPolicy RT @theGIIN: A Progress Report on Impact Investing via @HuffPostBlog: http://t.co/261NjPpuUt #impinv #socinv 5 days ago
- Open in Twitter GLE/IIPC @ImpInvPolicy RT @InclusiveBiz: Gov in social #impinv – what’s next on the global agenda? from @TRsocialimpact http://t.co/soaNFdLUuO @asiaiix http://t.c… 6 days ago
- Open in Twitter GLE/IIPC @ImpInvPolicy RT @socialfinance: "Place-based impact investing groups launch in US & Canada", Via @MissionInvest: http://t.co/GKPxPgOdzo w/@InvestCanopy … 6 days ago
- Open in Twitter GLE/IIPC @ImpInvPolicy RT @echoinggreen: Answering the President's Challenge to Spark Global #Entrepreneurship http://t.co/KElBuayNFD @WhiteHouse #StartTheSpark 1 week ago
- Open in Twitter GLE/IIPC @ImpInvPolicy RT @AspenANDE: US to coordinate efforts, mobilize investment for global #entrepreneurship: http://t.co/UeQUEsVj8r #startthespark @deveximpa… 1 week ago
- Open in Twitter GLE/IIPC @ImpInvPolicy @genderlensinv You're welcome! Thanks for bringing attention to a critical issue in #impinv! 1 week ago
- Open in Twitter GLE/IIPC @ImpInvPolicy This #FF, check out @genderlensinv for women-centered #impinv news, like this list of gender inclusive #socents: http://t.co/HXDcw9ZcCF 1 week ago
- Open in Twitter GLE/IIPC @ImpInvPolicy Study on #impinv in #LatAm features lessons from @Acumen @elevarequity @the_IDB @IGNIA_Fund and more: http://t.co/esSaGSgL9M 2 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter GLE/IIPC @ImpInvPolicy RT @PurposeCap: Explore #ImpInv w/ @SonalRShah & @Bridges_BV's Brian Trelstad May 18th at #ImpactOntario! http://t.co/9Wq5Rh4qQs http://t.c… 2 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter GLE/IIPC @ImpInvPolicy RT @MissionInvest: Building for the Future: Investing in America's Infrastructure http://t.co/ws1niiwTcD via @IRInvest #impinv 2 weeks ago
- Open in Twitter GLE/IIPC @ImpInvPolicy RT @DevexImpact: .@OPIC is the public sector catalyst in US for #sharedvalue investing in emerging markets. - @elittlefield #svleaders 2 weeks ago